Sunday, June 2, 2013

Somtam - Papaya Salad

This recipe has been such a big hit at home and among all my friends who have been asking for it for a while now, so here goes. Somtam or papaya salad is a popular salad in Thailand.  Wednesdays were Somtam nights, my husband and I would end up at pak soi Sukhumvit 26, right after work to enjoy our Somtam and Khao Neow (sticky rice).   A spoonful in your mouth and it’s like a firework of delicious flavors all coming together to give you a fantastic salad that will only leave you craving for more!

I’ve only had a chance to make Somtam after moving to Sydney. I don’t really have an exact measurement for Somtam as I throw in the ingredients based on the flavours I prefer. Some like it salty some sweet, I like mine with the measurements below and yes, I like mine really hot.  So go easy on those bird eyes, if you’re not a heat lover!  Do a taste test before throwing in the papaya so you can adjust the flavors in the sauce to your liking.

The secret to the recipe is to grate the papaya into long thin strings. You might want to shop around for a papaya salad grater online. Its worth investing in one. 


Ingredients
2 cups grated raw papaya or paw paw
¼ cup grated carrot

1-2 tbsp fish sauce (omit if you are vegetarian substitute with a little more salt instead)
2 tbsp soft palm sugar
2 tbsp tamarind juice/extract (consistency should be thin and runny)
2 small cloves of garlic
2-3 birds’ eye chili (not for the faint hearted) go easy if you can’t handle heat!
2 long Thai snake beans (omit if not available)
1 tomato sliced or 4 cherry tomatoes
A nice bunch of coriander chopped
A few Thai basil leaves
2 tbsp roasted peanuts
Dash of Lemon juice
Salt to taste




Method:
In a large mortar and pestle, start pounding the garlic and chilies together
Add in the tomatoes and allow the juices to blend in
Now add the palm sugar and fish sauce and pound gently till the palm sugar has melted.
Add the tamarind water, lemon juice, and salt
Throw in the grated papaya, and pound away gently. (beware you do not want any of the juices getting in your eyes.)
Now add in the beans, coriander, basil, peanuts, mix gently
And serve as is or with sticky rice.

Note: I garnish mine with dried shrimp which is how it is authentically served in Thailand.
Somtam can be prepared with anything. Cucumber, Raw Mangoes, even fruits. So get creative and enjoy this fantastic recipe and I'll guarantee it will be a sure winner in your next party!

Now if you’ve tried this and like it, be nice and leave your feedback for me ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mamz

I just now saw your this blog on Somtam making -recipe.
Next time you make, just try adding
a bit of "Hing" powder or "Hing" diluted in water, to the recipe at the end. Just add little and see. You may enjoy the tang even better. dad

Anonymous said...

Mamtha, thank you so very much for this! I can't go without som tam at least once every week now :D
- Arun

Anonymous said...

I am missing Thailand less, since I started making Somtam from your blog..thanks again!