Saturday, May 12, 2007

Aviyal - Mother's Recipe

Aviyal is an easy and wholesome meal you can serve on any occasion. I still remember Onam in Kochi and the mouthwatering sadhyas, a vegetarian feast served with rice and a host of side-dishes on a traditional banana leaf. One of which is Aviyal and injipulli both of which are my all time favorites. This recipes is mom’s trademark and no matter how hard I try I never get the flavor that she does when she makes aviyal…I guess that’s why they call it the mother’s touch… Happy Mother’s Day Mom.. and I hope you guyz enjoy this as much as I do every time mom makes my favorite mini sadhya!

Ingredients
Carrot
Beans
Ash pumpkin
Cauliflower
Green peas
1 cup grated coconut
4-5 green chilies
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
½ cup curds

Tempering
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 sprig curry leaves

Method:
Cut vegetables and boil them in water with a little salt. The water should be enough to cover the veggies. Too much water will make the gravy too thin.
Grind the coconut, cumin seeds & green chilies and a little salt to form a smooth paste
Add it to the cooked veggies stir well and bring it to a boil and add the beaten curd.
Now in a tempering spoon heat coconut oil and curry leaves and add it to the veggie mix.
Serve with rice, pickle and papad. And enjoy that mini sadhya.

If anyone from kerala has a better variation to this recipe please go ahead and add on ur comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mamtha,
Been reading your other blog and now this one and your aviyal recipe tempts me to comment.
The way to make aviyal is almost the same as yours, except ensure that the curd is sour (keep it out of the fridge for a day). Definitely more that 1/2 a spoon of curd. Also, you may add it at the time of grinding the coconut, and not use water to grind. We are from Kerala and we do not use cumin in the recipe. However, I have seen many others do so. Personally, I don't. After adding the ground mixture, do NOT boil.
Have a happy meal!!
Ciao,
Hema